The Vibe Agency offers destination management services throughout the world. From October 1 – 7, Valerie Bihet traveled to Istanbul to assist with all logistic aspects of a major bank convention. We would like to feature this grand city as a highlighted destination for future clients. Included are fun facts, “in the know”, where to eat and drink, where to shop, and most importantly a few venue selections.
- Istanbul is historically also known as Byzantium and Constantinople.
- Istanbul is the largest city in Europe with a population of 15 million
- It bridges the continents of Europe and Asia, with parts of the city on either side of the Bosporus Strait.
- Turkey is famous for its carpets, baths, textiles, ceramic tiles, tea and coffee, and a visitor will get a generous sampling of all.
- It is illegal to photograph Turkish military installations, hardware or personnel.
In the Know:
- Nazar Boncugu is a round bead in the shape of an eye made from blue glass with a hole in the middle. Nazar means “evil eye” in Turkish. Turks believe it will protect them from nazar powers.
- Tipping in restaurants is optional.
- It is impolite to refuse the offer of a drink when in a person’s home or place of work.
- It is impolite to blow your nose in public and do not show the soles of your feet when sitting.
Where to Eat and Drink:
Eat Like a Local
Lutfi Kirdar Kongre Merkezi Harbiye
+90 212 529 0833
Top-notch Turkish cuisine; décor is elegant
“Esquisite flavours of Istanbul savoured by a magnificent post-card view of the historical peninsula…”
Mediterranean and classical Turkish cuisines with remarkable wine selection.
Mediterranean Cuisine, dry ages charcoal steaks and seafood, sushi bar, freshly prepared Turkish specialities, Turkish and Japanese style fish and amazing wine list.
- Kiz Kulesi (Maiden’s Tower)
+90 216 342 4747
International cuisine, located on an island in the middle of the Bosphorus, to which the only transportation is by the restaurant’s own boat from Kabatas pier.
Siraselviler Cad.No.87, Taksim
+90 212 251 7064
International cuisine, featured as Restaurant Magazine’s top 50 restaurants in the world, award-winning décor with modern Asian-Mediterranean fusion dishes.
Where to shop:
- Atlas Passage,
An old shopping arcade built-in 1870 offers anything from second-hand clothing to valuable antiques. There are also theaters and cinemas. If you pay in cash you can get up to a 20 percent discount!
Antique shops located next to French Street which is filled with cafe’s, restaurants, street artists and outdoor concerts.
Key Shopping Area
Abdi Ipekci Cad
The most fashionable shops selling elegant styles made from Turkey’s high-quality textiles.
The Esma Sultan Mansion
A multipurpose event space, built in 1875 by by architect Sarkis Balyan. The building includes a bar, a restaurant, and an event hall at several levels. The venue holds various meetings and conferences, offers banqueting space in a historical atmosphere for up to 1,000 guests in the garden, 180 guests in the ground floor and 330 guests in the first floor. Space for reception is available for up to 3,000 guests in the garden, 300 guests in the ground floor and 600 guests in the first floor. The venue also hosts concerts of the Istanbul International Jazz Festival and the Istanbul International Music Festival.
The Adile Sultan Palace
Offers an actual area of 5625 square meters. The new venue of Istanbul accommodates a meeting / banqueting hall for 500 people, a meeting hall for 200 people, a 1300 square meters hall for cocktails and exhibitions, 20 seminar rooms, a museum, a dining hall for 150 people and a cafeteria for 60 people.
Catering is provided from outside and there is a capacity for 1,000 guests for a sit-down dinner.
Other great places to visit:
A Special Thank You:
On behalf of the VIBE agency, we would like to specially thank the following people for their warm welcoming and professional assistance:
Equipe of Intercontinental
Our expertise in corporate event production and meeting planning combined with our deep knowledge of the destination ensure your peace of mind. Let’s plan your next destination event in Istanbul to ensure the traditional VIBES during your stay.